Call for Applications: Canadian Aboriginal Artist Showcase at APAP in New York City: 11-15 January 2013
Posted on June 12, 2012
Manitoba Music is partnering with the Canada Council for the Arts to present a Canadian Aboriginal artist showcase at the Association of Performing Arts Presenters (APAP) conference in New York City, from January 11-15, 2013.
Up to three Aboriginal music artists and/or groups from across Canada will be invited to participate. Participation will also include a set of pre-conference workshops and meetings to prepare the artists for the conference and showcase.
Application deadline: Thursday, 26 July 2012 (see “How to apply” for details)
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a professional Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) music artist or group
- Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status, as defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Have a valid passport and be able to travel to APAP on the dates specified
- Have a current or upcoming professional release (EP/full-length)
- Have professional promotional material (photos, website, music videos)
- Have a manager or agent that is also able to travel to APAP on the dates specified
* Applicants from Manitoba must be a member of Manitoba Music. For more information about Manitoba Music membership, visit manitobamusic.com or contact Donna Evans (204.975.4217; firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to Apply
Send an email to email@example.com, including all of the following:
- Email subject line: “Native America North – APAP 2013”
- Your full name and mailing address
- 500-word biography of yourself or your group
- Link to a website where three of your songs may be downloaded
- Name of your manager or agent, their profile and contact information
- Performance history, listing your last 12 months of gigs
- Explanation of how this showcase fits into your overall career plans, and what you would do to make the most of the opportunity (maximum 1000 words)
Selection process and criteria
The selection process will be managed by Manitoba Music in consultation with the Canada Council for the Arts, and will involve a selection committee of industry professionals with knowledge of Canadian Aboriginal artists and experience attending APAP. Decisions will be based on the overall merit of your application in comparison with the other applications in the competition.
Preference will be given to artists that:
- Have great music
- Demonstrate momentum (through tour history and/or recent accomplishments in the music industry)
- Have a manager or agent that has attended APAP in the past
Final decisions will also reflect a balanced representation of artists and regions of Canada.
Manitoba Music and the Canada Council for the Arts will cover all showcase production costs. If you are selected to participate, we will also cover your return airfare to New York City, airport taxi fares, and a contribution to accommodation and meal costs (at a flat rate). You must be prepared to make a personal investment in your trip.
If you have questions or require further information, please contact:
Aboriginal Music Program Coordinator, Manitoba Music